Monday, August 22, 2011

Our "first" week of school

My children are acting out more, they are getting bored more frequently, they are being more whiney. All this screams to me that it's time to get back into school. Now, I don't have school SCHEDULED to start until Labor Day (I know, I know, you are all thinking WHY would you start school on a holiday?!?!!? Well, because for my family it's going to be a normal day with Ben at work and no car). So I had to make a decision: Start school officially this week or wait until Labor Day when we have things scheduled to start? In the end I decided that we would "start school" today but we will be focusing this week on doing fun things. Each day we have an art activity, an outdoor activity, and a "game" to do. This will allow us to get back into the routine of school without going all out. Oh, and the kids will also be doing math, science (we've been "growing" butterflies. A post on them will come after we have released them) and reading which they have been doing already for the last few weeks. I also plan to start the girls on their piano lessons again this week.
If you are interested here is what is on the docket for this week:
Monday: fingerpainting, Riding Bikes, and Chutes and Ladders
Tuesday: Coloring Contest, Go for a Walk, and an Educational Video
Wednesday: Sidewalk Paint, Play in the Sprinkler, Assemble our new Fairy puzzle
Thursday: Playdoh, Make Giant Bubbles, and Ladybug Game
Friday: Cut and Paste activity, Obstacle course, and play the Wii.
All this should make for some fun, low key days that get us back into our school routine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your ideas. Hang in there. It is so worth the effort. Love, Nana

Lynette said...

I should have done that for this first week...Oh, well. :) I lived it yesterday and now I've learned it! Next year I will ease in for sure...

Tracy Giles said...

Sounds like a very fun week. I might use some of your ideas to keep us busy,